It’s getting festive, the days are shorter, you spend most of the time cuddled up inside a cosy sweatshirt or jumper, and everything smells vaguely of spiced apple, mulled wine and cinnamon. You’ve even finished your shopping, and you’re planning to spend your evening beautifully wrapping your presents, but then you realise you have no idea what to write on a Christmas gift.
Fear not, we’re here to offer a helping hand – of course, we can’t do it all for you, but we can certainly give you some things to think about. Whether it’s a friend, relative or even your partner, we can help you work out what to write on a Christmas gift tag or even box.
What to Write on a Christmas Gift
There are multiple ways that you can go about this, from the smushy to the silly and everything in between. We feel like it would be neglectful if we didn’t give you some examples of what we mean by this, to help you work out what to write on a Christmas gift.
1. Short and Traditional
- Merry Christmas and a happy new year
- Glad tidings for the festive season
- Wishing you a happy Christmas
- Have a happy holiday
- Christmas wishes with love
2. Sentimental Family Message
- Family is the greatest gift of all
- Family is the gift that keeps on giving
- I love spending Christmas with family
- Family is what makes my Christmas
- I’m lucky to have a family like you
3. What to Write on a Christmas Gift Using Song Lyrics
- Baby, it’s cold outside – That must mean it’s Christmas
- IIIIITTTTSSSSS CCHRRIIISSSTTTMMMAAASSSS!!!!
- It’s the most wonderful time of the year
- I wish it could be Christmas every day
- Have a holly jolly Christmas
4. Christmas Cracker Jokes
- Why does Santa have three gardens? So he can Ho Ho Ho!
- What do snowmen wear on their heads? Ice caps!
- Why are Christmas trees bad at sewing? They drop their needles!
- What’s the difference between Santa’s reindeer and a knight? One slays the dragon, and the other’s draggin’ the sleigh
- Which side of the turkey has the most feathers? The outside!
5. A Pinch of Sarcasm
- Merry Drunk, I’m Christmas
- Christmas calories don’t count
- May your bells jingle all the way
- I wish you love, peace and weight gain this Christmas
- Happy Jesus’s Birthday
6. Smushy Sentiments
- You’re exactly what I wanted this Christmas
- Waking up next to you is the best gift I could ask for
- Spending Christmas with you is a dream come true
- My favourite part of Christmas is being with you
- I want to spend all of my Christmasses with you
7. Cheeky Cheer
- Meet me under the mistletoe
- You jingle my bells
- Feel free to deck my halls
- All I want for Christmas is you…in a bow
- You’re sweeter than a candy cane
8. Playful Puns
- Dachshund through the snow
- There’s snowbody quite like you
- Christmas is Claus for a celebration
- All this festivity is making me santamental
- Let’s get up to snow good
9. What to Write on Christmas Gift Tags for Friends
- Thank you for being such a great friend this year – Merry Christmas
- Your friendship is the best present I could hope for
- I told Santa how nice you’ve been – thank you for everything
- I am grateful to have you as my friend this Christmas, and always
- Friends like you make the holidays fun and festive
10. What to Write on a Gift Box for Your Colleagues
- It’s been a pleasure working with you – enjoy the holidays
- Thanks for your help and hard work, Merry Christmas
- May your holiday be as bright as you make the [workplace]
- Enjoy your holiday, you definitely deserve it
- Merry Christmas to you and yours
11. What to Write on a Christmas Gift to Your Boss
- Thanks for being a great boss, enjoy your holidays
- Thank you for your support this year. Merry Christmas
- Merry Christmas to a great mentor and friend
- You make work so much fun, happy holidays
- Thank you, here’s to another great year. Merry Christmas
12. Christian Christmas Wishes
- Christmas wishes, I hope you have more than 12 loaves and 5 fishes
- Jesus is the gift that we all are given this Christmas
- Blessings to you and your family this Christmas! Have a peaceful holiday and a Happy New Year (as a new creation)!
- Merry Christmas, brothers and sisters! May God be with you in this glorious season of celebration!
- Rejoice, for God is with us – this Christmas and forevermore! Have a blessed holiday season!
13. What to Write on a Christmas Gift to Send Yule Wishes
- Have a cool Yule
- Blessed Winter Solstice
- Yuletide wishes
- Blessed be my friend
- Solstice Greetings
14. For Those Who Don’t Celebrate Christmas
- Happy Holidays
- Have a happy holiday season
- Wishing you a season full of happiness
- Wishing you peace, love and laughter
- Wintery wishes and tidings of joy
Merry Christmas from Bags of Love
One of the things we pride ourselves on (other than beautifully hand made, personalised photo gifts) is the diversity in our office. So, we asked around and have collected some of the great traditional Christmas wishes from the team.
Greetings from Around the World
- English: Merry Christmas
- Spanish: Feliz Navidad
- French: Joyeux Noel
- Italian: Buon Natale
- Russian: C nowim godom
- Romanian: Crãciun fericit!
- Norwegian: God jul
- Portuguese: Feliz Natal or Boas Festas
- Polish: Wesolych Swiat